Saturday, July 19, 2008

world series of poker main event and san diego

I have a few minutes here before heading to the twins game so I suppose I can update this thing.

The main event was pretty dumb again this year. I played great and had my table image honed in and got a guy to stick KQo in preflop when I had aces but for the second year in a row I didn't win (at least last year I got half the pot when the board flushed and neither of us had the suit). I then got AJ in vs a small stack with 88 on a AJT8 board for most of the rest of my chips, and busted out with a very small stack with A7s vs KK.

It really is incredible how soft of a tourney the main event is and given that it's a little disappointing that none of the players I had pieces of did anything notable. I'm not disappointing in them at all of course, but just how dumb big live tourneys are luck/variance wise. Almost everyone had a sick couple of hands they lost.

After Vegas I headed to San Diego again. I've always wanted to golf when I'm out there and we've always kinda talked about it but never followed through. I decided to buy clubs out there so I'll be more motivated to play when I'm there and hopefully we'll golf enough that it'll cover all the fees of renting clubs and playing with rentals kinda sucks anyhow. I've never had nice clubs before and man did I find some I really liked by more or less getting lucky at the store I think. I'm not the hugest fan of the 3wood/fairway wood I got but the iron set (mizuno rx-25's) are awesome. I wasn't planning on it, but now I think I'll have to pick up a set for here in MN, too.

Dave also bought clubs, so we golfed 3 days in a row. I shot my best round ever -an 81 which is kind of bogus cause i had 2 4-putts and a couple others that I really felt should have dropped. I'm gonna play a ton here back in MN and hopefully soon break 80. I think it's time I find a driver I like and work on it. For the past 3 years I've just stuck to a 3 wood cause I can hit it like 230 down the middle most of the time and that's generally good enough cause it keeps me out of trouble. Now it's time to take it to the next level.

Changing topics...I've always loved screwing around in the ocean if there are decent waves. It really makes me feel young again getting just owned by them and it's so fun. Maybe I should try to learn to surf sometime.

I better get moving...

1 comment:

Devo said...

I'll teach you how to surf if you go on a trip with me.